As if truck drivers don’t have enough to worry about. Lately there is more than just the traditional long, sleepy hours spent on the road to make runs all over the country. Recently there have been several accounts of truck drivers having CO poisoning from their semi trucks.
For example an Ohio truck driver that was flown to the hospital from a local trucking company in Sept. of 2009, after falling ill, apparently from carbon monoxide poisoning. According to the report, deputies were called to the Millis Transfer Inc. trucking company. The driver said there was an exhaust leak in his truck he hadn’t known about and was feeling ill after driving for a while, according to emergency responders.
Or how about, in April of 2010 when a Canadian truck driver named Bruce Kidd, was found dead in his cab a week after his propane heater apparently created an overwhelming amount of carbon monoxide inside the truck. News reports said temperatures were near freezing when Kidd probably turned the propane heater on.
Many drivers carry heaters to melt ice, to keep warm, etc. in the winter months, and this poses a risk such as the same as with campers because CO poisoning is especially dangerous in closed quarters. However, carbon monoxide can also occur due to a mechanical defect that could result from faulty exhaust equipment on the trucks. While it is known that diesel fuel combustion engines produce much lower concentrations of carbon monoxide (CO) than gasoline engines, these emissions could certainly generate lethal concentration amounts.
Carbon monoxide, or CO, is an odorless, colorless, tasteless, and a non-irritating gas that can cause sudden illness and death. Each year, several thousand American workers are killed outright from carbon monoxide exposure, making the poisonous gas one of the most dangerous and widespread industrial hazards. Carbon monoxide poisoning causes more deaths than any other toxic agent except alcohol. At least another 10,000 workers suffer from the debilitating effects of high-level exposure. Millions more are subject to low-level, long-term carbon monoxide exposure, the effects of which are not well defined.
Some of the mild CO poisoning symptoms are: shortness of breath, mild nausea and mild headaches. With moderate levels of CO exposure the following symptoms may persist for a long period of time: dizziness, light-headedness, confusion, drowsiness, rapid breathing or pulse rate, vision problems, chest pain, convulsions, seizures, and loss of consciousness. High levels of CO inhalation can cause loss of consciousness and can be fatal causing death within minutes.
In order to prevent this unnecessary poisoning, many haulers on truck driving forums are recommending to their peers to purchase a Carbon Monoxide detector for their rigs. One driver states to another, “This will be the best $13 you could ever spend.” If you are in need of a Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Lawyer please click here to learn more.