Recently, residents of an apartment building in Yonkers, NY received a scare when their building was affected by high levels of carbon monoxide. The apartment was evacuated and emergency crews were called. The first responders ventilated the apartment until the carbon monoxide level dropped to zero. Nonbody in the affected apartment was injured by the carbon monoxide fumes, but people from a neighboring apartment were taken to the hospital with minor injuries.
This is not the first incident that has involved carbon monoxide recently in Yonkers. In October 2018, the Metro-North train station in Yonkers was temporarily closed after high levels of carbon monoxide were detected. Three transit police officers were sickened after a strong smell of gas was reported. In April 2019, 11 people from an apartment building in Yonkers were hospitalized after carbon monoxide fumes caused the evacuation of the building. All 11 people were from the same family in the same apartment. The problem was discovered when one man returned home from work in the morning and was unable to wake his family, which is a sign of carbon monoxide poisoning. The problem was attributed to faulty heating equipment in the apartment.
If you are sickened by carbon monoxide, there are several possible defendants. The first and most obvious one is the owner or landlord of the building for subjecting you to a dangerous living environment. The second possible defendant is the manufacturer of defective heating equipment.
Carbon monoxide is a dangerous problem that is more widespread than you may think. Each year, over 400 people will die from carbon monoxide poisoning. In addition, 20,000-50,000 people will make emergency room visits each year and roughly 4,000 of those people require stays in the hospital. Carbon monoxide is a serious problem because it is a silent killer. People may never even realize that they have been poisoned by carbon monoxide and are simply overcome without any struggle. In many cases, people will go to sleep and simply not wake up. Other times, they feel symptoms and are able to seek medical attention to treat the symptoms of the poisoning. Carbon monoxide poisoning is preventable with the proper detection equipment.
If you or a loved one has suffered injuries related to carbon monoxide poisoning, you may be entitled to compensation. The Law Offices of Sadaka Associates handles such cases and can provide you with a complimentary evaluation of your case. Call today to speak with our knowledgeable staff.