You have a limited time
to file a claim.

Experienced Slip and Fall Lawyer
Fort Lee NJ

man slipping down the stairs

An injury from a slip and fall accident can significantly impact your life. Between recovering from the injury and paying for medical bills, you may find yourself spread thin. According to the CDC, more than 800,000 people go to the hospital for fall injuries each year, and the total economic cost of fall injuries is over $50 billion.

If you sustained injuries from a slip and fall accident, you might be entitled to financial compensation. The associates at Sadaka Law have represented hundreds of clients in slip and fall injury cases. We can use our experience and knowledge to help you pursue financial compensation. If you need a slip and fall lawyer in Fort Lee, NJ, make us your first choice!

Slip and Fall Cases and Premise Liability

The court typically holds the property owner responsible in slip and fall injury cases. According to premise liability laws, property owners must ensure their properties are safe for guests they invite on the premises. If the property has hazards and a guest sustains an injury from those hazards, the property owner may be liable.

In order to win a slip and fall injury case, the prosecution must prove three things:

  • The defendant knew about the hazard, AND
  • The defendant did not take steps to fix the hazard, AND
  • The hazard caused the plaintiff’s fall and injury in question

For example, if you slip on a wet floor in a restaurant and there is no sign warning of the hazard, the courts may hold the restaurant owner responsible.

Common Slip and Fall Injuries

ankle sprain bandage

Many people do not sustain injuries from falling, but the CDC estimates about one in five falls results in an injury that requires hospitalization. Common injuries from slip and fall accidents include:

  • Broken bones (e.g., arm, leg, wrist, ankle)
  • Bruising
  • Back injury
  • Hip injury
  • Head injury
  • Traumatic brain injury
  • Joint injury
  • Muscle or tendon strain/tear
  • Broken shoulder

Generally speaking, seniors are more at risk of falling and sustaining an injury, but a fall can be serious at any age. Risk factors that make you more likely to fall and injure yourself include:

  • Muscle weakness
  • Prior injury
  • Vitamin deficiencies
  • Certain medications (e.g., blood thinners, tranquilizers, sedatives, etc.)
  • Balance problems
  • Vision problems
  • Hazards in the home

If you do sustain an injury from slipping and falling, the first thing you should do is get medical attention. Not only do you need to get the care you require, but you are also more likely to file a successful suit if you immediately get a diagnosis from a medical professional. After seeking medical assistance, contact a slip and fall lawyer in Fort Lee, NJ.

Common Slip and Fall Injury Locations

Slip and fall injuries can occur anywhere, but some locations are more common than others. The accident location matters for determining negligence and responsibility.


Fall injuries are extremely common on stairs. Property owners have a duty to keep their stairs clear of debris and safe to use. For instance, if you injure yourself on the stairs of an apartment complex, then the court can hold the complex owner responsible.


Slip and fall injuries are also common on public sidewalks and roads. Generally speaking, the municipality is responsible for maintaining the safety of sidewalks and roads. In such a case, the liable party would be the municipality or local government.


Businesses like grocery stores may have slippery floors, which can cause falling accidents. Retail outlets must clearly mark hazardous floor conditions, or they can be liable for any injuries that occur. Even in cases where businesses mark hazards, they can still be liable if the marking isn’t prominent enough.


Many people sustain slip and fall injuries while at work or during the execution of work duties. If you sustain injuries from unsafe work conditions, the courts can hold your employer responsible for reimbursing your expenses.

Slip and Fall Injury Compensation

personal injury claim form

Courts award damages in personal injury cases to compensate plaintiffs for costs resulting from slip and fall injuries. Compensation exists for two types of damages: monetary and non-monetary losses.

Monetary losses include any quantitative damages that the courts can assign a dollar amount. Examples of monetary damages include:

  • Emergency medical bills
  • Physical rehab
  • Medication costs
  • Loss of wages
  • Continual disability costs
  • Replacement of property
  • Funeral expenses

Non-monetary losses include things that do not have a definitive quantitative value, such as:

The amount of compensation depends on the scope and severity of your injuries and financial losses. An experienced attorney from the offices of Sadaka Law can help keep track of your expenses and calculate the total amount of compensation for which to file.

Slip and Fall Accidents and Comparative Negligence

New Jersey operates on comparative negligence law, meaning that both the defendant and plaintiff can share responsibility for the injury. In cases where both parties share negligence, the court will reduce awarded damages proportional to the responsibility of each party.

For example, if the court judges the plaintiff was 30% responsible for the accident, they will reduce the total compensation amount by 30%. To be entitled to compensation, the plaintiff must bear no more than 50% of the blame for the injury.

How Can a Slip and Fall Lawyer Help?

lawyer advising a client about his personal injury case

Personal injury cases are complex, and decisions often rely on the subtle intricacies of personal injury case law. In addition to providing legal guidance, a slip and fall lawyer in Fort Lee, NJ, can help:

  • Investigate the scene of the accident
  • Identify witnesses and gather testimony
  • Negotiate with insurance companies
  • Compile medical documentation
  • Compose and send demand letters
  • Prepare court documentation
  • Represent your case at trial
  • Appeal a court decision

Sometimes, it may be possible to represent yourself in a personal injury case. But in almost all circumstances, it’s in your best interest to hire an accomplished personal injury attorney. They can help you navigate the legal landscape and maximize your chances of a successful verdict.

Slip and Fall Injury Statute of Limitations

The statute of limitations for personal injury cases in New Jersey is two years. After two years pass, you will not be able to pursue financial compensation. Personal injury cases can take some time to process, so it is crucial to act quickly.

A Fort Lee personal injury attorney can help you pursue your case quickly and effectively. It is best to get started on your case as soon as possible to increase the chances of a satisfactory resolution. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to file a successful suit.

Contact a Fort Lee Personal Injury Attorney Today!

Slip and fall accidents can incur a significant medical and financial burden. If you have catastrophic injuries from a slip and fall accident, you need an attorney that will fight on your behalf. An experienced slip and fall lawyer in Fort Lee, NJ, can give your case the attention and personal care it needs.

Sadaka Law is here to help you pursue justice. Contact our firm online or give us a call today at (800) 810-3457 to schedule a free case consultation!



Principal & Founder
This article was written by Mark Sadaka, a seasoned trial lawyer in nationally significant cases. He fearlessly champions clients impacted by fatal or severe injuries caused by others or corporations. Renowned for his expertise in complex litigation, he's featured in books, sought after by media for interviews, and a highly sought speaker. Notably, he exclusively represents individuals facing life-changing injuries or substantial financial losses.

Sign up to get the latest news and updates from Sadaka Law

Sign up to get the latest news and updates from Sadaka Law
One last chance at a free case review.Fill out the form below to see if you have a case.