Housework can put your health at risk. A team of researchers at the University of Norway in Bergen has found that there is a cleaning chemicals health hazard. They found that women who are exposed to cleaning chemicals at work and on the job are more likely to have lung problems.
Ammonia is one of the household chemicals that can be harmful. It can irritate the mucus membrane that lines the lungs. Investigators followed 6,200 subjects over the course of 20 years in order to find out about the cleaning chemicals health hazard. The subjects were asked questions about their health.
Cecilie Svanes is one of the people who was involved in the study. She stated that the chemicals can have a short-term effect on people who suffer from asthma. However, the long-term effects of chemicals on asthma are not fully understood. They believe that being exposed to these chemicals on a daily basis can cause damage to the airways. They also believe that the chemicals can cause the lungs to age faster.
The subjects’ lung health was measured by how much air they could breathe out. They found that household chemicals did not seem to have as much effect on men’s lungs. However, the chemicals had a significant effect on women’s lungs. The effects the chemicals had on the lungs were similar to smoking.
The researchers do have explanations for the differences in gender that were seen in the study. Men are less likely to work as cleaners. However, they still believe that women are more likely to be negatively-impacted by the chemicals.
Oinstein Svanes is the co-author of the study. He stated that the take-home message is that long-term chemical use is likely to cause serious damage to your lungs. The chemicals that many people use to clean their home are usually unnecessary. Water and microfiber cloths are usually enough for most people to clean their homes.
Oinstein stated that you do not have to completely give up your cleaning products. However, there are some things that you can do in order to reduce your exposure to chemicals. Do not spray the chemicals directly; instead, mix the chemicals with a bucket of water.
It is easier for you to breathe in the chemicals when you spray them. They can get deep in your lungs. The chemicals can also linger in your home for hours after you spray them.
Bleach is another chemical that can be dangerous. It is corrosive. Not only can it damage your respiratory tract, but it can also damage your eyes. Make sure that you never mix bleach with ammonia. It can create a fume that is dangerous to inhale.
Additionally, it is important for you to read the warning labels before you use any chemicals. It will have caution, warning and danger label on it. If it has a caution label on it, this means that a pint of the cleaner can kill an adult. A warning label means that a teaspoon of the chemical can kill an average adult. If the cleaner has a danger label on it, then this means that a small taste of it can kill the average adult.
Learn more about Dangerous Chemical Lawsuits.